Sunday, July 14, 2013

Of Gears, Steam and Corset Girls

The book I'm writing right now (just over 31K words, which means about half way) is basically steampunk. It's set in 1899, but it's not your great-great-grandmother's 1899.

It's taken me six months to get this far on the book which in my life is just short of "forever." I haven't taken this long to write a book in years. The thing is, I want to get it right.

The main character is Miriam Walker. She had a husband and children not too long ago. But her husband Oliver was killed in a factory accident and that made her a widow. Then her two daughters died of scarlet fever, leaving only her son, Ben.

Then the monsters got Ben. He was found in an alley, torn to shreds and something had eaten his entrails. Now Miriam spends her solitary life destroying monsters. Hunting them, killing them and beheading them.

And like any good hero, she gathers companions along the way.

[Below is an excerpt, remember this is a work in progress, so it might change!]

“You are going to kill them in cold blood,” Monroe said.

“Those monsters killed Penny, Mr. Bernier and countless others. Yes, the temperature of my blood is quite cool,” Miriam replied.

Monroe's look of astonishment had turned into an expression she couldn't quite read in the dim street lamp light.

“You are a seamstress,” he said with a touch of wonder in his voice.

“Yes, I am.”

“Yet you pursue and kill these things like a man.”

“Nonsense! I pursue and kill them like a woman. It is like any work I turn my hand to. They are filth and I …”

“You clean them up.”

“Yes.” She shivered. The night was cold. She would need to keep moving or get indoors. She wasn't willing to take the latter option just yet.

“Now you must leave me to it,” she said.


“I must leave you to your chores? Well, it is my turn to say ‘nonsense’” I will not leave you to it. I will help you.”

----------------
Next time, I'll explain what corset girls are!

No comments:

Post a Comment